Council's plans continue to push out poorest
London Assembly estimates predict Southwark will lose 2,051 social rented homes as a result of current property schemes, and that across London 80% of building will only be affordable by 8% of the population. Southwark is in the bottom 3 boroughs for affordable housing.
So rather than creating a “fairer” Southwark, both current and previous councils have delivered a deal that is pushing our communities to the breaking point.
As Southwark Green Party, our candidates would call for:
- Residents to be balloted on proposed demolition
- Refurbishment over demolition (where it doesn’t put residents at risk)
- Improved resident consultations, taking into account local needs
- Supporting local community groups wishing to manage community assets
- Supporting community land trusts wishing to build homes
- Enforcing agreed social and affordable commitments by developers