Demonstration organised by Southwark Pensioners Action Group
It is time to open a 24hr walk in service at the Maudsley Hospital for those in mental health crisis, especially for children, young people, pregnant women and mothers with babies.
What’s the problem?
• Kings A&E feels like an awful place to be if you are having a mental health crisis
• People in mental health crisis have to wait to be seen in a busy, hectic, sometimes aggressive reception area alongside those
with broken limbs or other physical trauma.
• It feels even worse if you are a child, a young person, a pregnant woman or a mum with a baby
• 60% of young people turning up in crisis are not known to mental health services for children and young people
• The significant increase in knife crime since January 2018 means Kings A&E is under huge pressure
What do we want?
• A 24 hour walk in Place of Sanctuary at the Maudsley Hospital Denmark Hill site for those in mental health crisis.
• Especially for children and young people, and pregnant women, mothers with babies in mental health crisis
• Mental health money must reach the frontline
• No more cuts to children and young people's mental health services in or out of hospital
Southwark Pensioners Action Group (SPAG) c/o Southwark Pensioners Centre, 305– 307 Camberwell Road, SE5 0HQ
Google map and directions